These tasty muffins successfully fuelled the 40.5km / 25.2 miles that I ran on long run day yesterday… Needless to say they are a new favourite! I ate two of them with a cup of matcha before my first run of the day (which was 35 km / 22 miles); and one with tart cherry juice before my second run of the day (which was 5 km / 3 miles). It’s true the quantity of muffin to the length of run doesn’t quite match up!! But they really did the trick for both runs 🙂
Makes 12 muffins.
- 1½ cups shredded zucchini
- 2 eggs, beaten (or 1 Tbsp chia seeds whisked with 3 Tbsp almond milk and allowed to sit until gelled)
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups ground rolled oats (oat flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup walnut pieces and/or chocolate chips (optional)
- Heat oven to 350. Line muffin tin with 12 muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, beat together the zucchini, eggs, honey, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Add the ground oats, baking powder and salt, and fold in. Add walnuts and/or chocolate chips, if using.
- Divide batter between 12 muffin cups.
- Bake 30 minutes for full size muffins (or until a toothpick comes out clean).
To deliciously healthy food and stronger faster running… Cheers,
Sarah J Cuff, RHN