We know we’re supposed to eat more leafy greens… They are, after all, THE most nutrient-dense foods available to us. But who says you can’t drink them?!
Green smoothies are a fantastic way to get a large dose of the dark leafy greens so full of vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients. The practice of a daily green smoothie will help to boost your immune system, energize you and nourish you.
Makes 3 x 16oz servings.
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 container of baby spinach (5 oz)
- 1 bunch romaine lettuce (or hearts) (5 oz)
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and diced (optional)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen pineapple
- 1-2 cups frozen mango or 1-2 fresh mangos
- 6-8 ice cubes (if not using frozen fruit)
- Pour the water into a high-powered blender, and add the spinach. Blend on medium until spinach is mixed down into the water.
- Add the romaine lettuce and ginger and mix on high for one minute.
- Add the pineapple and the mango, (and ice cubes if you’re not using frozen fruit). Mix on high for one minute or until completely smooth.
- Enjoy immediately or pour into 3 to-go containers (mason jars work great).
- Store covered green smoothie in the fridge for up to 3 days and freeze the rest (transfer to fridge 24 hours before you want to consume).
Eat clean, run strong, be well… Cheers,
Sarah J Cuff, RHN
This is my first smoothie in my new Vitamix machine… nice, refreshing flavour (used the ginger and frozen fruit). The machine sure started shaking and shifting around on the counter, have you experienced this? I also think I got an air bubble, shut off machine then tampered the ingredients. Not sure if it turned out as smooth as yours looks! Maybe next time I will add more water or some ice!
Also, should I add anything else for a post run drink in terms of protein and or healthy fat? Or when should this be added? Thanks
Hi Gisele! What a fantastic first smoothie to make up in your new Vitamix (yay new Vitamin!!) – great choice, and I’m so happy to hear you liked it! Yes, if maybe I add a bit too much frozen fruit, or not enough water then it’s super thick and doesn’t mix nicely. So whenever it does the shaking thing or gets caught up like it needs to be tampered, I just add a slash or two more water, and that does the trick. It probably turned out more like a slushy for you! Taste would still be there, it’d just be colder and thicker. If you’re having it post run, I’d add 3 Tbsp of hemp hearts to give you some protein and healthy fat – makes it creamy and tastes great still too! You could add a 1/2 tsp of matcha powder too, to up the antioxidant power of the smoothie too. That’s about it though – keep it simple!