I must admit, my husband created this recipe! We had a cabbage salad at a little cafe on Bowen Island and he enjoyed it so much he asked if I might recreate it. When nothing materialized, he took matters into his own hands and came up with this. I can’t say I’ve changed it up that much from what his original recreation was! It’s so fast and easy to throw together, is such a great summer side to protein and starchy carb of nearly any form, and is as nourishing as it is delicious.
Makes 4-6 servings
- 1 head red or green cabbage
- 3-4 large carrots, grated
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 bunch green onions (scallions), diced
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 2-3 Tbsp ginger juice OR 1 tsp ground ginger
- dash crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toss the cabbage, carrots, red peppers and green onions together in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, ginger, pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the veggies and mix thoroughly.
- Ideally let sit in fridge for at least 20 minutes before serving.
To deliciously nourishing food and stronger faster (more enjoyable) running… Cheers,
Sarah Cuff, R.H.N.