Not everyone loves the taste of matcha… And I get it – that’s cool. So that is where this recipe comes in (hopefully you like chocolate). A delicious mildly spicy hot chocolate with all of the ergogenic and anti-inflammatory benefits of matcha – but the matcha taste is totally hidden beneath the chocolate and spices! And for those of you who love ‘bulletproof’ or ‘paleo lattes’ (that’d include ME!!!!), go ahead and add the coconut oil and grass fed butter (if you do just be sure drink it alone – don’t eat any food with it – that’s the secret to ‘bulletproof/paleo’ lattes, consuming only all the fatty acids on their own without carbs). I’m now addicted and this is my new favourite.
- 1½ cups hot water
- ½ cup warmed almond milk (unsweetened)
- 2 Tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1-2 tsp maple syrup (if you’re fully fat adapted and your tastebuds now appreciate the bitter taste of cacao and matcha, you might skip adding any sweetener!)
- ½ tsp matcha powder
- ¼ tsp ginger (or 1 tsp fresh grated)
- dash cinnamon
- dash turmeric
- dash fresh ground black pepper
- 1-2 Tbsp virgin coconut oil OR MCT oil (optional – makes it a ‘paleo latte’)
- 1-2 Tbsp grass fed butter (optional – makes it a ‘paleo latte’)
- ½ – 1 scoop grass fed or plant based vanilla protein powder (optional)
- 1 Tbsp grass fed collagen powder (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a blender. Blend on high for 30+ seconds until frothy.
- Serve immediately.
To deliciously healthy food and stronger faster running… Cheers,
Sarah J Cuff, RHN