This one will win over even those who think they don’t care for tofu! Yes, it’s a great meal for the vegetarian or vegan runner, but equally great for any runner who just wants to add a bit of variety to their meals. Some runners find they race best off of eating vegetarian the day before an important race or long run… Worth experimenting with (the reason for this is that concentrated animal protein is harder for our bodies to digest, it just takes longer, therefore it’s possible you may still be digesting last nights dinner if it was too heavy in proteins, fats or fiber).
Makes 3-4 servings.
- 1 block organic extra firm tofu
- 1½ cups nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1-2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 cup coconut or almond milk
- 1 cup oat flour
- 2-4 Tbsp coconut oil
- This recipe can either be fried or baked. If baking, preheat the oven to 350. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Grease the parchment paper generously with 2-3 Tbsp coconut oil (this is important, otherwise the baked tofu will be much too dry).
- In a medium bowl, mix the nutritional yeast, salt, turmeric, garlic powder, parsley, basil, oregano together.
- Pour the milk into a separate small bowl by itself.
- In a 3rd bowl, place the flour by itself.
- Rinse the block of tofu. Slice it into about 24 slices.
- Dip each tofu slice into the flour. Coat thoroughly and shake off excess.
- Then dip each flour coated tofu slice into the milk.
- Finally, coat the flour and milk dipped tofu piece in the herb mixture and coat evenly.
- If frying the tofu, heat a skillet over medium high heat with 2-3 Tbsp coconut oil. Once hot, lay the coated pieces of tofu on the heated oil and fry for 2-3 minutes per side, until nicely browned. They’ll need to be done in two or three batches, add more coconut oil as needed.
- If baking the tofu, place each slice on the greased parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Bake the tofu for 15 minutes. Flip and bake 15 minutes more, until golden.
- Dip the baked tofu in a mixture of 2 Tbsp organic yellow mustard with 1 Tbsp liquid honey and a dash of turmeric spice per person.
- Serve with sautéed veggies or a fresh salad and optional potato or yam home fries.
To good eats and strong running… Cheers,
Sarah J Cuff, RHN