I first came across scrambled tofu as a fantastic alternative to scrambled eggs what feels like forever ago – but has become a tried and true favourite. It not only works as a great breakfast food, it also makes for a quick and easy ’emergency’ dinner! Plus it utilizes the amazing highly anti-inflammatory turmeric spice and is jam packed full of veggies – making this a great post-long run brunch 😉
Makes 4 servings
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- dash of fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder (optional)
- 1 package organic extra-firm tofu
- 2 Tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- one handful of finely chopped fresh parsley (or 1 Tbsp dried parsley)
- 2 stalk broccoli, in small pieces
- 3-4 carrots, grated
- 1 bell pepper or zucchini, chopped
- 1 package baby spinach (or baby kale or arugula)
- In a large bowl, mix together the spices and nutritional yeast. Crumble the tofu into this mixture and toss to thoroughly coat tofu with spices.
- In a large fry pan, heat the coconut oil. Add the onion and sauté until transparent.
- Add the parsley, broccoli, carrots, bell pepper or zucchini and spinach, and sauté 5 minutes longer.
- Then add the tofu mix and sauté another few minutes or until heated through and spinach is wilted.
- Serve with avocado, tomatoes and optionally, home fries.
To deliciously healthy food and stronger faster running… Cheers,
Sarah J Cuff, RHN