I’ve been playing around with various versions of this recipe for some time now… But this is IT. Seriously. Last week I ate 2 (along with a Matcha Latte) and then went out and smashed my speed workout. It was amazing. I’m attributing that success solely to Power Cookies. And matcha. And my dinner the night before. And my awesome pacer… And my great coach… Okay, you get the point. Power cookies are but one piece of the puzzle to a strong run 😉
2017 update – I’ve updated the recipe as I now use 2 bananas and I use 3 cups rolled instant oats instead of the oats plus oat flour combo. I just like ’em better this way! I’ve also taken to using these cookies often to fuel my long trail runs and ultra marathons – turns out they are great fuel for DURING running also 🙂
2022 update – small tweaks to make them even better!!!
Power Cookies (makes 24)
- 2 eggs, beaten, (or 2 Tbsp chia whisked into ½ cup almond milk)
- 2 mashed bananas (or ~¾ cup applesauce)
- ½ cup almond butter (or peanut butter or nut seed butter)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup honey (or brown rice syrup)
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp butter (or coconut oil), melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 3 cups instant (quick cooking) rolled oats (do NOT use old fashioned or thick cut oats)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½-1 cup pumpkin seeds (or slivered almonds or pecan pieces or peanuts)
- ½ cup hemp hearts – optional
- ¼-½ cup dried tart cherries (or cranberries or raisons) – optional
- ¼-½ cup cacao nibs or dark chocolate chips – optional
- Heat oven to 350. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat together the egg or chia/almond milk, banana, almond butter or other nut/seed butter, maple syrup, honey, butter or coconut oil, vanilla and salt.
- Add the oats, pumpkin seeds or nuts, and if using – hemp hearts, dried fruit and/or chocolate. Mix well. Drop by spoonful onto the cookie sheet (to make 24 cookies). Use back of spoon to flatten cookie.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- For MINI power cookies, make them roughly half the size and bake for 9 minutes (these are great to take with you ON the run).
- Store in a sealed container in fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for longer (these cookies freeze really well).
To deliciously healthy food and stronger faster running… Cheers,
Sarah Cuff, R.H.N.
Holistic Sports Nutritionist