Well had I known such a thing as a potato cake existed, I’d have been making these long ago! Better late than never – my first experience with a potato galette (aka a round crusty cake) turned out quite alright I’d say. Such a great item for a potluck, as you can make it up in advance, and then just quickly reheat it for 20 minutes at your final destination (assuming you have access to an oven). Goes really well with salad and protein of choice.
- 3 lbs potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly (using a mandolin makes this much easier)
- 4 Tbsp grass fed butter
- ¾ cup fresh grass fed parmesan cheese, grated
- salt, pepper, thyme
- Heat oven to 375ºF.
- Grease a pie plate. Arrange first layer of potatoes to cover the bottom. Place small bits of butter over the top of the layer, sprinkle with salt, pepper and thyme, and sprinkle on some of the cheese.
- Repeat this process 3-4 times until all the potatoes are used up.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and using oven mitts press the entire galette down, compacting the cake. Return to the oven and bake for another 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and broil on high for a few minutes until nicely browned.
To deliciously healthy food and stronger faster running… Cheers,
Sarah J Cuff, RHN