I wanted to try making a fruit square that used a sort of ‘chia jam’ as it’s middle layer… Worked like a charm 🙂 These make a great pre-run snack or even a quick on-the-go breakfast! They would also make a great option to have on hand when carb-loading for a race.
Makes 16 squares.
Base & Top Ingredients
- 1½ cups oat flour
- 1 cup instant oats
- ½ cup hemp hearts
- ½ cup butter or coconut oil, softened
- ½ maple syrup
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup canned peaches. drained
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp tart cherry juice
- 3 Tbsp chia seeds
- Make the middle layer first (it needs to cool completely before spreading on the base). In a med-small saucepan, heat the peaches, strawberries, syrup, and tart cherry juice until boiling. Let boil 1 minute. Remove from heat, add chia seeks, whisk well and place in fridge to cool completely (it will thicken completely).
- Base/topping: in a medium bowl, stir together the oat flour, oats, hemp hearts and salt with the butter or oil and syrup until throughly combined.
- Grease a 9×9 baking dish. Press half the oat mixture into the bottom of the pan. Top with the cooled peach strawberry chia. Then crumble the second half of the oat mixture over top the peach strawberry mix.
- Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Cool completely and cut into 16 squares. Keeps up to 3 days in fridge. Freezes well.
To deliciously healthy food and stronger faster running… Cheers,
Sarah J Cuff, RHN