I love desserts (like, seriously LOVE desserts)! When I took up running 14 years ago, I’d use running as an excuse to eat lots and lots of sugary sweet cookies, cakes, pies and squares.
However, when I began “eating 2 run” I began to rationalize what I chose to eat in a whole new way. Instead of feeling like I deserved to eat all the treats, I started asking myself what my body needed to become a stronger, better runner.
This led to completely revamping my entire recipe collection of desserts, which I now like to call “healthy treats” as they are created with only whole grains (typically oats) and natural sweeteners (no processed sugars).
Among some of my favourite are fruit based desserts. The fruit makes for a more nutrient-dense finished product. This peach blueberry crumble is packed full of vitamin A rich peaches (canned California cling peaches peached are actually higher in vitamin A than fresh peaches are!) and antioxidant rich blueberries.
While traditional fruit crumbles have large amounts of sugar added and call for cornstarch to thicken the fruit base, this one uses only a touch of maple syrup (per your taste preferences) and incorporates a tart cherry chia seed mixture with the peaches and blueberries to naturally thicken the fruit juices.
You might use fresh peaches if they are in season, or reach for a couple cans of California cling peaches – I always like to have a few on hand. They are packed quickly after
being picked to ensure they retain their appearance, texture, flavour and nutritional content. Same goes for blueberries – use fresh if you have them, but frozen is just as nutritious if not more so!
So here it is – a recipe for a dessert that can be eaten guilt-free, knowing you’re eating foods that will only help your running instead of hinder it!
Peach Blueberry Crumble – makes 6-8 servings
- 2 cans of California cling peaches, drained and sliced
- 2 cups of fresh or frozen blueberries
- ¼ cup tart cherry juice
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- 2-4 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice (juice from half a small lemon)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup ground oats (oat flour)
- ½ cup instant oats
- ¼ cup hemp hearts
- ¼ cup grass fed butter (or coconut oil), softened
- 2-3 Tbsp honey (or maple syrup)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Heat oven to 350.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the tart cherry juice, chia seeds, maple syrup (using amount based on preference for sweetness), lemon juice and sea salt. Let sit for 5-10 minutes as the chia gels the mixture.
- Add the peaches and blueberries to the chia mixture and mix well. Pour the peach/chia mix into an 8×8 baking dish. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat together the oat flour, butter or oil, honey and sea salt. Fold in oats and hemp hearts. Distribute this mixture over the top of the peach/chia mixture.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Let cool for 20 minutes before serving.
To deliciously healthy food and stronger faster running… Cheers,
Sarah J Cuff, RHN