Banana’s are a runners best friend – a quick energy source, perfect for just before and/or just after a run because they are so easy to digest; a great source of the electrolyte potassium; and a great source of prebiotics (fructoogliosaccharides – the food our healthy bacteria needs to thrive). For these reasons, and because they are a staple in my smoothies and recovery shakes, I always have dozens of bananas around the house in varying degrees of ripeness – some frozen, some in the fridge, others on the counter.
And if the banana is such a great food for runners (and btw so is oatmeal, with it’s immune boosting beta-glucan) – then it stands to reason that the perfect runners food just might be oatmeal banana cookies (wink wink nod nod)!!
Oatmeal Banana Cookies (makes 36 to 42 cookies)
- 4 mashed bananas
- ½ cup melted virgin coconut oil
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 eggs, beaten (or 2 Tbsp chia seeds with ¼ cup water and allow to gel)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups ground oats (oat flour)
- 2 cups instant oats
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ cup mini dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Heat oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat together the bananas, oil, maple syrup, eggs (or chia mix) and vanilla.
- Fold in the ground oats, instant oat, sea salt and chips if using.
- Drop by tablespoon full onto the lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 16 minutes.
Eat clean, run strong, be well… Cheers,
Sarah J Cuff, RHN