The truth is these bars just have so much going for them! Plus, they are SO GOOD. And did I mention how quick and easy they are to throw together? They not only contain high quality protein, they are also rich in iron. Blackstrap molasses is one of the best sources of non-heme (plant-sourced) iron – almond butter and cacao are also good sources. In fact each bar contains about 3mg of non-heme iron (for comparison sake, 3oz of lean beef contains 2.9mg of iron – albeit heme iron).
Makes 8 bars.
- ½ cup all natural almond butter (chunky or smooth) (or Sunbutter for a nut free version)
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp blackstrap molasses
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- 1 scoop unflavoured, vanilla or chocolate protein powder (containing 30g
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- ¼ cup hemp hearts, or more coconut (for rolling)
- In a bowl mix together the almond butter and molasses.
- Add the cacao and protein powder.
- Stir in the shredded coconut.
- Form into 8 bars and roll/press hemp hearts to all sides
- Freeze or refrigerate until firm (keep stored in fridge or freezer).
Per serving : 18g carbohydrates; 13g protein; 12g fat; 4mg iron
Suggested daily iron targets for endurance athletes:
- Females – 23 mg
- Males – 17.5 mg
Eat clean, run strong, be well… Cheers,
Sarah J Cuff, RHN