Actually, the real name for these delicious bars is No-Bake Super-Simple Iron-Rich Coconut Chocolate Protein Bars… But that turned out to be just a bit too long, haha.
The truth is these bars just have so much going for them! Plus, they are SO GOOD. And did I mention how quick and easy they are to throw together? They not only contain high quality protein, they are also rich in iron. Blackstrap molasses is one of the best sources of non-heme (plant-sourced) iron – almond butter and cacao are also good sources. In fact each bar contains about 3mg of non-heme iron (for comparison sake, 3oz of lean beef contains 2.9mg of iron – albeit heme iron).
- 3 Tbsp almond butter (or Sunbutter for a nut free version)
- 2 Tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 2 Tbsp coconut water
- 3 Tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 scoop unflavoured hemp protein powder such as Ergogenics plain (or any unflavoured protein powder)
- 1 Tbsp shredded coconut, plus extra for rolling
- In a bowl mix together the almond butter (or sunbutter for a nut free version), blackstrap molasses and coconut water. Beat until creamy.
- Add the cacao powder, protein powder and coconut. Mix well – it should be very stiff and sticky. Add a touch more coconut water if necessary.
- Form into 4 bars and press shredded coconut to all sides. Refrigerate until set (and store in freezer).
Makes 4 bars.
Eat clean, run strong, be well… Cheers,
Sarah J Cuff, RHN