This is a recipe that lately I’ve found myself making all the time – as well as demoing at seminars and workshops… And telling people yes for sure it’s on my website… Only to realize today, that oops no, it’s not on my website (ack, sorry to those who may have searched for it and come up empty handed!)… So here it is. Developed nearly 2 years ago in an attempt to recreate a packaged bar my hubby had brought home, the touch of blackstrap molasses to this super simple and easy to throw together energy bar adds a depth of flavour that’ll keep you coming back for more!
Makes 8 bars.
- 1 cup rolled oats (OR, if not using a food processor, use ½ cup instant rolled oats + ½ cup oat flour [ground rolled oats])
- ⅓ cup almond butter (or sunflower seed butter)
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp blackstrap molasses
- Dash sea salt
- Dark chocolate chips or chunks (to top with) – look for 70% dark or darker
- Hemp hearts (to top with)
- Heat oven to 300. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- If using a food processor, place the rolled oats, almond butter, honey, blackstrap molasses and salt into the processer, and process until well combined. If using a bowl, beat together the almond butter, honey, blackstrap molasses and salt until creamy, then add the instant rolled oats and oat flour and combine until fully mixed.
- Form the mixture into 8 bars (or 16 mini bars) on the cookie sheet and press 3-5 chocolate chips into the top of each bar. Sprinkle with hemp and push down into the bar and bake for 8 minutes. Or for a non-bake version, simply add chocolate chips to batter, form into balls and roll in hemp hearts, then freeze.
To deliciously healthy food and stronger faster running… Cheers,
Sarah J Cuff, RHN