This is an Eat2Run classic – I’ve been making it since the early days of eating to run, back when I was training for that marathon where I managed to take over 25 minutes off my time and BQ!! If that isn’t testament to how amazing this meal is I don’t know what is 😉
But seriously, this salad is so easy to throw together and incredibly delicious – that dressing just makes it!! It’s also so quick and easy to pack for lunches on the go. And you can do up so many different ways – with chicken or with chickpeas… Or neither for a lighter version of this protein rich (thanks to the hemp hearts, a fantastic source of complete protein) hearty rice salad.
Makes 4 servings
- 1 cup brown rice or wild rice blend, cooked according to package directions
- 3-4 carrots, sliced thin into coins
- 4-6 green onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped (or 1 cup steamed green beans, chopped)
- 1 large handful fresh parsley (or basil or cilantro), chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced (or couple handfuls cherry tomatoes or radishes, chopped)
- ¼ to ½ cup raw unsalted pumpkin seeds (or sunflower seeds)
- ¼ to ½ cup raw unsalted walnuts, broken into pieces (or pecans)
- ½ cup cup hemp hearts
- 1 can chickpeas, drained OR 2 baked or sautéed chicken breasts, diced (optional)
- 1-2 lemons, juiced (~ ¼ cup)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp organic low-salt, wheat-free tamari
- ¼ to ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 1-2 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
1 avocado, for serving
- Toss all salad ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together. Pour over salad and thoroughly coat.
- Serve in bowls and top with sliced avocado.
To deliciously healthy food and stronger faster running… Cheers,
Sarah J Cuff, RHN