In experimenting with a lower carb / higher fat way of eating for a few weeks, I had to find a substitute for my usual Banana Oat weekly pancakes. These totally did the trick! Basically, they swap out the oats (high in carbs, low in fat) for almond butter (high in fat, lower in carbs). They still use banana, so they certainly don’t qualify as “super low-carb” (or ketogenic)… But for a fat-loading phase where you’re looking to get 60-70% of your daily carbs from fat, or are looking to avoid all grains, these do the trick!
Makes 2 servings (3-4 pancakes each)
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp hemp hearts
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup almond butter
- ½ tsp baking powder
- dash sea salt
- Heat a large skillet over med heat, with coconut oil or grasfed butter.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas, eggs, chia seeds, hemp hearts, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Fold in the almond butter, baking powder and sea salt.
- Pour about ¼ cup of the mixture per pancake onto the heated greased skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook 1-2 minutes longer.
- Serve with berries and watered down nut butter (I whisked coconut milk into some almond butter until it was a pourable consistency).
To deliciously healthy food and stronger faster running… Cheers,
Sarah J Cuff, RHN