The curry sauce in this recipe that goes over your choice of veggies, protein and carbs will blow you away! For two reasons. First off, it’s the tastiest dish ever!! A winner in many a household I hear, not just this one 😉 And second, it is a full of the super strongly anti-inflammatory spice turmeric. The perfect recovery food for runners.
You could choose to use chicken or tofu or my fave: tempeh. Tempeh is a fermented soy product – the process of fermentation makes it more nutritious than tofu, a fantastic vegetarian source of complete protein. The downside is that it can be unappetizing if not prepared properly (similar problem most people have with tofu). If you use tempeh, this dish promises to make you a tempeh convert!
Makes 4 servings.
- 1 cup brown or wild rice blend, cooked to package directions; OR 3-4 potatoes or yams, cubed and boiled/baked until soft; OR 1 large head cauliflower, in florets and sauteed with the veggies below
- 1 brick extra-firm tofu, cubed and sauteed in tamari sauce; OR 1 brick tempeh, sliced and sauteed briefly; OR 4 chicken breasts, baked or bbq’d and sliced OR 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2-3 stocks broccoli, in florets OR green beans OR snap peas
- 6-8 carrots, peeled and coined; OR 2 red peppers, sliced
- 5oz baby spinach
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- ½-1 tsp ginger powder (or 1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger)
- 1-2 tsp garlic powder (or sauté 2-4 fresh chopped garlic cloves with veggies above)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- dash red pepper flakes
- 1 can (400mL) full-fat coconut milk, warmed
- optional 1 cup veggie broth, to make the sauce thinner if needed
- If using, put rice on to cook (or prepare potatoes or yams).
- If using, saute the tofu or bake or bbq the chicken.
- In a large fry pan, heat the oil and sauté the broccoli and carrots (and cauliflower if using). Add spinach and saute until wilted.
- Whisk the spices together in a small bowl with the coconut milk. Add the sauce to the veggies and mix thoroughly (add veggie broth if you wish to have more/thinner sauce).
- Add the tofu, tempeh, chicken or chickpeas and heat through.
- Serve over rice, or over baked or boiled yams or potatoes.
Eat clean, run strong, be well… Cheers,
Sarah J Cuff, RHN