These cookies are a perfect ‘healthy treat’. The anti-inflammatory action from the anthocyanins and ellagic acid of tart cherries shines through in the dried tart cherries!
While this a non-traditional cookie (it’s gluten-free, paleo, vegan, sugar-free – using only a few medjool dates and a touch of maple syrup to sweeten them), they are amazingly delicious – particularly if you’re a fan of coconut!
Makes 24 cookies
- ½ cup almonds
- 6 pitted medjool dates
- ¼ cup coconut butter (also called coconut mana)
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- 1½ cups of unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- ½ cup dried tart cherries
- Heat oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, process almonds, pitted medjool dates, coconut butter, maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla extract until a ground and sticky batter.
- Remove from the processor and place in a bowl. Add the unsweetened shredded coconut and mix well (likely will need to use hands).
- Knead in the coconut flour.
- Lastly, fold in dried tart cherries (may wish to chop them into smaller pieces first).
- Divide batter in half. Take one half and divide into 12 portions, roll and flatten on the parchment lined baking sheet. Cookies will not change shape as they bake.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes, until lightly golden.
- Repeat for second batch.
- Store in fridge for up to a week or longer in the freezer.
Eat clean, run strong, be well… Cheers,
Sarah J Cuff, RHN