Last night I set out to make my usual Chocolate Energy Bites to share at a talk I was giving to the Richmond Spirit Runners this morning… But as I’ve stated before, I’m terrible at following recipes (even my own haha), plus I really wanted oats in there (because they are a great carb source to help fuel before and re-fuel after running). So I ended up throwing these ingredients into a pot and voila, the end result was delicious with many requests this morning for the recipe, so here it is!
These make a great pre-run or post-run snack – full of essential omega-3s from the hemp hearts, anti-inflammatory antioxidants (flavonoids) from the cacao and immune boosting beta-glucan from the oats, as well as MCTs (medium chain triglycerides) from the coconut oil, CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) and butyric acid from the grass fed butter, and heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids from the peanut butter.
Makes ~18 to 24 energy bites
- 2 Tbsp grass fed butter (such as Rolling Meadows, Kiwi Pure or Kerrygold)
- 2 Tbsp virgin coconut oil
- ¼ cup all natural peanut butter (or you could use almond butter)
- ¼ cup 100% pure maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp honey
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- dash sea salt
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder
- 1 Tbsp matcha green tea powder (optional)
- ¼ cup hemp hearts
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 Tbsp chopped almonds (or peanuts)
- 1¼ cups instant rolled oats
- In a medium pot, heat the butter, oil, peanut butter, maple syrup, honey, vanilla and salt over medium high heat, stirring regularly. Bring to a rolling boil, and boil while whisking for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Whisk in the cacao powder (and matcha if using). Then stir in the hemp hearts, coconut, almonds and rolled oats until everything is thoroughly combined.
- Drop by tablespoon full onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Refrigerate until set (about 30 minutes) and store in fridge.
To deliciously healthy food and stronger faster running… Cheers,
Sarah J Cuff, RHN