This recipe has been kicking around nearly as long as Eat 2 Run has been around – it’s one of the first recipes I created and began taking with me everywhere to all my talks and seminars! Somewhere in the transferring of information to my new website, the recipe got lost… And it really deserves to be up here with the Eat 2 Run classics, so here it is!
Makes 3-4 dozen balls
- 1 cup almonds
- ½ cup pecans
- ½ cup walnuts
*choose raw, unsalted nuts – may use different combos of various nuts/seeds instead of just almonds, pecans & walnuts
- 1 cup raw cacao powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup (~ 10-12 large) pitted medjool dates
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- hemp hearts, chia seeds and/or shredded coconut (for rolling)
- In a food processor, process the almonds, pecans and walnuts until completely chopped up into a coarse flour.
- Add the cacao and salt and process a few seconds more. Pour the mixture into a bowl and set aside.
- Add the dates and maple syrup into the emptied processor and process until smooth and creamy.
- Add the cacao nut mix back to the food processor with the dates/syrup mix. Process briefly until mixed through. You may have to stop it a few times and move the batter around as it will be stiff and have a tendency to ball up.
- Roll into small balls and coat with unsweetened raw coconut and/or hemp seeds and/or chia seeds.
- Store in freezer (refrigerator works also).
For more of a yummy dessert treat, you might dip them in melted chocolate, coating them fully, and then finish with a sprinkle of hemp hearts, chia or shredded coconut!
To deliciously healthy food and stronger faster running… Cheers,
Sarah J Cuff, RHN