This is currently how I consume my daily half cup of tart cherry juice. I started drinking this breakfast shake about 2 years ago when looking to move away from my previous staple (that served me SO WELL for so many years until all of a sudden it didn’t any longer). And I must say, even a number of years in now, this cherry breakfast smoothie phase isn’t going anywhere anytime soon! I especially love how well it’s supported me right throughout my pregnancy.
Makes 1 serving
- ½ cup tart cherry juice + ¼–½ cup water or unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup frozen tart cherries (or frozen black cherries or mixed berries)
- 1 Tbsp hemp hearts
- 1 heaping Tbsp almond butter (or sunflower seed butter)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil (or cacao butter – or simply add another tablespoon of almond butter or hemp hearts)
- (optional) 1 Tbsp cacao powder
- (optional) ½-1 scoop unflavoured or vanilla protein powder or 1-2 Tbsp collagen
- (optional) ½ tsp matcha green tea powder or greens powder
Place all ingredients in a high-powered blender and blend on high until completely smooth. Enjoy immediately.
Per serving: 35g carbohydrates; 8g protein (18g total or more with added protein powder or collagen); 23g fat
To deliciously healthy food and stronger faster running… Cheers,
Sarah Cuff, RHN