Sometimes I play around with a recipe again and again and again… Each time thinking this is it – I’ve got it! When all of a sudden I make one more change and BOOM, I know I’ll never play around with it again. THIS is one of those recipes – using almond butter which is rich in vitamin E and hemp hearts rich in omega-3 fatty acids – it’s the perfect healthy treat / snack for a runner!
Makes 24 cookies.
- 2 eggs, beaten (OR 1 Tbsp chia seeds whisked together with 3 Tbsp almond milk)
- ½ cup pure almond butter
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- ¼ cup honey (OR brown rice syrup or coconut nectar)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup hemp hearts
- 2 cups ground oats (oat flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ to ½ cup dark chocolate chips, optional
- 24 whole almonds
- Heat oven to 350. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, almond butter, oil, honey, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Fold in the hemp hearts, ground oats, baking powder and sea salt. Add chocolate chips if using.
- Drop by tablespoon full onto a lined baking sheet (makes 24 cookies). Press one almond into the top of each cookie.
- Bake for 11-14 minutes, until golden brown on bottoms.
Nutrition Info (per 2 cookies): Calories: 218 | Carbs: 23g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 12g
Enjoy! Eat clean, run strong, be well… Cheers,
Sarah J Cuff, RHN