This is a higher protein version of one of my 5-Day KickStart shakes (the KickStart Cleanse utilizes only whole foods, no powders or nutritional supplements). It’s still rich in vitamin E (key nutrient to help build a strong immune system and healthy skin) from the almond butter and anthocyanins (potent antioxidant) from the berries.
A perfect way for any runner to start their day!
Almond Berry Breakfast Shake (serves 1)
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 ripe banana (or 2 pitted medjool dates)
- 1 Tbsp hemp hearts
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp almond butter (or sunflower seed butter)
- ½ tsp matcha green tea powder AND/OR ½ scoop greens powder (optional)
- ½-1 scoop of vanilla or plain protein powder (equalling 15g protein) OR add another 2-3 Tbsp of hemp hearts
- ½ cup frozen blueberries
- 6 large frozen strawberries
Place all ingredients in a high powered blender and blend on high until smooth. Serve immediately (if you need to make in advance, just don’t use chia as it tends to gel over time).
Eat clean, run strong, be well… Cheers,
Sarah J Cuff, RHN