This is the perfect dish to bring along to a potluck spread – it takes a little more time and effort to put together than you’d likely spend if it were just for you and looks more impressive than, say, a simple hummus / crackers / veggies platter!
It’s dairy-free, gluten-free and vegan… But if you’re not worried about adhering to any of these particular categories, you might choose to swap out the ‘cheese sauce’ with some grated high-quality organic cheese (or simply sprinkle overtop the whole dish).
6-Layer Dip (serves ~12 as an appetizer)
1st layer: hummus
- 2 cups (1 can) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 large lemon, juiced (~2-4 Tbsp)
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- water as needed for thinner consistency
2nd layer: seasoned almond meat
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 shallot (or ½ onion), finely diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 tsp each dried basil, parsley and oregano
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ turmeric
- 1 cup raw, unsalted almonds, coarsely ground in a food processor
- 2 Tbsp low-sodium wheat-free tamari
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
3rd layer: guacamole (use fresh store-bought or use recipe below)
- 2-3 ripe avocados
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- dash sea salt
- handful fresh cilantro (or parsley), finely chopped
4th layer: salsa
- 400mL to 500mL fresh store-bought salsa or organic low/no sugar salsa
5th layer: cheese sauce
- 1 large lemon, juiced (~¼ cup)
- 2-4 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp organic yellow mustard
- 1 tsp tahini
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp turmeric
6th layer: accessorize
- 2-3 green onions
- 1 tomato, diced OR 6 baby tomatoes, quartered
- 6-12 black olives, pitted and sliced
- handful fresh parsley or cilantro, finely chopped
- Place all the hummus ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth and creamy, adding water a tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- For the spiced almond meat, heat a large skillet over medium high heat with the coconut oil. Saute the shallot and carrots for 5 minutes. Add the spices and mix. Add the almonds, tamari and vinegar and mix well, sautéing another 5 minutes or so until the almonds are toasted. Remove from heat.
- For the guacamole (if not using pre made), mash the peeled avocado with the lemon juice, sea salt and cilantro. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
- For the ‘cheese sauce’, whisk together lemon juice, 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast, mustard, tahini, salt and turmeric. Add more nutritional yeast until it’s the consistency of a thick sauce.
- To assemble, spread the hummus on a large dish or shallow glass baking dish. Cover with spiced almond meat. Layer on the guacamole. Top the guacamole with a layer of salsa. Drizzle the cheese sauce over the salsa. Finally, top by springing on the green onions, olives, tomatoes and fresh parsley. Serve immediately, or cover with plastic and chill.
- Seve with Mary’s Crackers, organic (preferably baked) corn chips or other organic, whole grain crackers.
Eat clean, run strong, be well… Cheers,
Sarah J Cuff, RHN
PS. For more ideas and inspiration on dishes you might like to make and share with others, The Aloha Way has some beautiful pictures and recipes to check out, using natural, plant-strong and whole food ingredients!