This is super simple and quick to throw together recipe for energy bars that are specifically meant to be eaten in the hour before a run – reason being they are low in fat and protein, so they’ll be easier to digest than most bars that have a lot of nuts or nut butters in them.
If you’re not eating them right before a run, I’d have a handful of almonds or walnuts with one in order to make it a more balanced snack.
- 4 cups Natures Path brown rice crisps or puffed rice
- 1½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup chia seeds
- ½ cup raw cane sugar or packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup almond butter
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- Grease a 8×13 baking dish with coconut oil (or line with parchment paper).
- In a large bowl, combine the rice crisps, rolled oats and chia seeds.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, almond butter, honey and oil. Heat over medium heat until completely melted and just reached boiling.
- Pour melted mixture over cereal mixture and stir until evenly coated. Press into 8×8 greased baking dish.
- Cool in the fridge until set (about half an hour).
- Cut into 18 bars. Keeps for up to 2 weeks in the fridge.
Makes 18 bars.