Mmmm, lemon-lime. I originally thought this just couldn’t work because I expected the chia seeds to gel the drink up and make it thick. It didn’t. It just works. And it tastes like a treat! One serving offers about 200 calories for energy as well as electrolytes potassium from the coconut water and sodium from the sea salt. And the chia seeds (chia is the Mayan word for strength) are the secret ingredient used by the amazing Tarahumara endurance runners of Mexico (as chronicled in ‘Born to Run’ by Christopher McDougall)!
A must try 🙂
- 1½ cups coconut water (or plain filtered water)
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 lemon + 1 lime, juiced (or 2 juiced lemons, or 2-3 juiced limes)
- 1 Tbsp honey (or more, to taste)
- pinch sea salt (less than ⅛ tsp, literally just a few granules)
- Whisk all ingredients in a cup, let sit for a few minutes, and serve (or put in a to-go container to drink on the run).
Serves 1 (~210 calories)