Mmmmm, I love chocolate. I used to love chocolate bars and really anything chocolate. But now I find my old treats make me feel yucky and they don’t even taste as good as I remember them to. So I make my own chocolate treats and know that not only do they taste amazing, they are also full of good for me ingredients!
Cocoa powder contains antioxidants (specifically the flavonoids called flavanols) known to be heart-healthy. Cashews are chock full of the heart-healthy monounsaturated fat oleic acid (omega-9). And dates are full of nutrients such as calcium, magnesium and potassium. All three of these ingredients are also a good source of iron – the nutrient that distance runners are ever in need of.
- 1 cup cocoa powder (I use raw)
- 1 cup raw and unsalted cashews
- 1 cup (about 12 large) pitted medjool dates
- ¼ cup virgin coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- In a food processor, process the cashews and cocoa until the cashews are like a fine flour.
- Add the dates, oil, syrup, vanilla and salt. Process until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Put the mixture into the fridge for 10-15 minutes to let harden/cool to make it easier to roll into balls.
- Roll into small balls the size of a truffle and roll in unsweetened raw coconut, icing sugar mixed with cocoa powder, chia seeds or hemp seeds.
- Freeze. To consume, leave out for 5 minutes and then enjoy!
Makes ~24 balls.