Mmmm, chocolate and my new fave – cherry juice. The slight tartness from the juice is perfect with the deep rich chocolate. The raw cacao is high in antioxidants and tart cherry juice has actually been shown to help speed recovery in runners!
Of course… It is a cookie… Which makes it a delectable ‘once in a while’ treat! This recipe only makes a dozen (to help ensure there’s no ‘overeating’), but can be easily doubled.
- ½ cup spelt or whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cup raw cacao (or cocoa)
- ⅓ cup raw cane sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup virgin coconut oil
- ¼ bar (25g) dark chocolate (I use cuisine camino 71% baking chocolate)
- 2 Tbsp tart cherry juice
- Heat oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the flour, cacao, sugar and baking powder in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt the oil, baking chocolate and cherry juice.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Form into 12 round balls, place on parchment paper lined cookie sheet and flatten slightly.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Dust with powdered sugar if desired (optional).
Makes 12 cookies.