I love sweet potatoes (and yams)!! In fact, as a runner, I’d have to say they rank in the top 2 or 3 carb sources I like to reach for when carb-loading or looking for a carb-rich meal. While so many grains and legumes can be hard to digest (and some people just don’t tolerate certain grains/legumes well), yams are so easy to digest and work for just about anyone.
This recipe is actually straight out of my KickStart Cleanse for Athletes and includes another favourite -artichokes. Plus it’s pretty quick and easy to throw together!
Artichoke Sweet Potato Salad over Arugula (2 servings)
- 1 large (or 2 small) sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 jar water-packed artichoke hearts (~6 hearts), drained, rinsed and quartered
- 1 red bell pepper, diced small
- 3 celery stalks, diced small
- 1 small lemon, juiced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried parsley
- dash paprika
- 2 large handfuls of arugula (or other salad greens)
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and add the cubed sweet potato. Simmer for 12-15 minutes, until soft when pierced with a fork. Drain.
- Place cooked sweet potato, artichokes, bell pepper and celery in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, basil, parsley and paprika together. Pour over the potato mix and toss until coated.
- Serve over a bed of arugula.
Eat clean, run strong, be well… Cheers,