I developed this recipe (which is more or less a spin-off of my Chocolate Energy Bites) while keeping two things in mind – I wanted these bars to be a healthier option than the processed packaged snack bars out there (my husband has a stash in his desk drawer at work for when I don’t make him the homemade version!), but at the same time I wanted them to be something that didn’t taste too ‘healthy’.
In other words, if hubby asks for a second one the minute he’s finished the first, I know I’ve hit upon a keeper. And these power bars just happen to be a keeper (yay!). Topped with protein rich hemp hearts and full of almonds, oats and chocolate, this is the perfect something to grab when you’re headed out the door in a rush, going to be on the road, or looking for a little something extra to go with your green smoothie.
- 1½ cups almonds
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 12 pitted large medjool dates (more if they are small dates, and soak them beforehand if they are not nice and moist)
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ½ cup chopped almonds
- ½ cup instant oats
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- ¼ cup chocolate protein powder (such as Vega Sport chocolate or Ergogenics hemp pro chocolate – or if you don’t have protein powder, just use another quarter cup of cacao)
- hemp hearts (for topping)
- In a food processor, process almonds until ground. Add raw cacao powder and sea salt, and process briefly. Pour the ground almond mix into a bowl.
- In the emptied processor, add the medjool dates and maple syrup. Process until smooth and creamy. Add the processed almond chocolate mix back in and process until well combined (mixture will be very, very sticky).
- Using a spatula, transfer this sticky mixture back to the bowl. Add the chopped almonds, instant oats, shredded coconut, chocolate protein powder (or more cacao). Mix well (you may need to use your hands to knead the ingredients together).
- Line a 9×13 pan with parchment paper. Place the bar mixture on the pan and using another sheet of parchment paper, press the bars flat. Once they are nearly pressed flat, sprinkle a generous amount of hemp hearts on the top and finish pressing flat (pressing hemp hearts down into top of bars). Freeze for 10-30 minutes.
- Cut into 16 bars and wrap individually for quick grab ‘n’ go convenience. Store in freezer.
Makes 16 bars.
Eat clean, run strong, be well… Cheers,