It appears (here in Canada) that we are heading into soup season… So I’m going to start with this one! It’s yet another way to use the awesome amazing superfood KALE (which of course I know you’re managing to get into your diet on a regular basis right?!!).
The combo of carrots, kale, split peas and nutritional yeast make it a warming meal rich in all the right nutrients required to boost your immune system while giving you the carbs you need to have the energy to run well.
Makes about 8 servings.
- 2 Tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 1 large or 2 small onions, diced
- 3-5 stalks of celery, diced
- 4-6 carrots, diced
- 2-4 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- large handful fresh parsley, chopped fine
- 2 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- dash red pepper flakes
- 2 cup dry split peas
- 8 cups (2 boxes) low sodium veggie broth
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 bunch kale, torn into pieces
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, celery, carrots, parsley, salt, pepper, chilli pepper flakes and sauté until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the split peas and veggie broth. Bring to a rolling boiling.
- Turn heat down, stir in the nutritional yeast and the kale, and then cover and simmer for 1 hour.
Eat clean, run strong, be well… Cheers,