These muffins disappeared pretty much as soon as they came out of the oven! Not only are they the perfect pre-run snack (low in protein, fat and fibre and high in carbs), they are also super yummy.
Cinnamon is a spice that helps to stabilize blood sugar levels and is known to be anti-inflammatory. Plus, a number of studies have shown cinnamon to have properties that increase insulin sensitivity, meaning your body is better able to load carbs into muscle glycogen. Does it get better than that?!! I know I’ll definitely be integrating them into my next carb-loading plan. As well as snacking on them plenty before than too!
- 1½ cups unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs, beaten (or 1 Tbsp chia seeds whisked with 3 Tbsp almond milk and allowed to sit until gelled)
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1-2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups ground rolled oats (oat flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 apple, peeled and diced into small pieces (optional)
- Heat oven to 350. Line muffin tin with 12 muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, beat together the applesauce, eggs, honey, maple syrup, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Add the ground oats, baking powder and salt, and fold in. Add diced apple if using.
- Divide batter between 12 muffin cups.
- Bake 30 minutes for full size muffins (or until a toothpick comes out clean).
Eat clean, run strong, be well… Cheers,